KiwiBuild is supporting property developers to build affordable housing for eligible KiwiBuild buyers.
Incentives to partner with KiwiBuild
KiwiBuild is a multi-billion dollar programme that provides incentives for property developers to build more affordable homes, faster.
The incentives are provided in a number of ways, including:
- reducing risk for developers by underwriting homes in new developments
- making land available for development
- integrating affordable housing into major urban development projects.
Criteria for developers
KiwiBuild needs to ensure the right developers are engaged to build quality homes for New Zealanders. To be part of our initiative we consider:
- the developer's track record and financial capacity
- what market there is for the product offered
- whether the proposed price is market-competitive
- whether the development is in a priority area
- whether the proposed development meets KiwiBuild objectives and aligns with the KiwiBuild brand.
Land for Housing
The Land for Housing programme aims to increase the supply of new dwellings and to increase the pace of developments, in collaboration with iwi/hapū and private developers.
- identifies vacant or under-utilised land that is suitable and available for housing development
- acquires available land in suitable locations, whether from Crown agencies or from private vendors
- on-sells that land to developers, who use their own capital to develop the land
- requires each site be developed subject to conditions that facilitate the construction of dwellings to increase and accelerate housing supply
Across the Land for Housing programme the Government’s objective is to make:
- 20 percent of the dwellings available for public housing, and
- a further 40 percent at (or below) the KiwiBuild price points
The Land for Housing programme expands the former Crown Land Development programme, to make it national and provide scope to acquire either private or Crown land.
Development partners for Land for Housing
Three panels of private developers have been established to take up any development opportunities that do not fall to iwi under the Land for Housing programme.
|Low density||Medium density||High density|
|Fletcher Residential Ltd||Ockham Residential||Fletcher Residential Ltd|
|The Neil Group Ltd||Fletcher Residential Ltd||Classic Group Ltd|
|Classic Group Ltd||Classic Group Ltd||Urban Growth Parthers|
Buying off the Plans
The Buying off the Plans initiative involves the Government underwriting or purchasing new homes off the plans that the private sector or others are leading, in exchange for accelerating a greater number of affordable KiwiBuild dwellings.
A common challenge faced by developers is the need to sell a significant portion of dwellings off the plans in order to secure funding for construction, which means that developments can sometimes stall or be put on hold.
The Buying off the Plans initiative involves the Government giving developers the certainty and backing they need to deliver suitable developments that would not otherwise proceed or to deliver developments at a greater pace than initially planned, in exchange for accelerating a greater number of affordable, KiwiBuild dwellings.
Partner with us
If you're a builder, land developer, end-to-end developer or manufacturer visit our partnering opportunities page for invitations to participate or pitch.
If you would like more information about partnering with KiwiBuild