KiwiBuild is designed to give more New Zealanders the opportunity to buy their own home.
To be eligible to buy a KiwiBuild home you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or a resident visa holder who is ‘ordinarily resident in New Zealand’
- not currently own a home in New Zealand or overseas, or if you currently own a home, you must not own more than one by the time of settlement on a KiwiBuild home
- have a pre-tax income from the previous 12 months of:
- $120,000 or less for a single buyer; or
- $180,000 or less combined for two (or more) buyers.
If you are self-employed, your income will be assessed on the most recent IRD tax year.
You will also need to commit to living in your KiwiBuild home for a minimum period of time:
- at least one year for a studio or one-bedroom home; or
- at least three years for a home with two-bedrooms or larger.